International Certificate of Competence

Thinking of Chartering in Europe?
You will need an International Certificate of Competency and the IYT International Bareboat Skipper Certificate.
IYT Worldwide has been approved to issue the ICC/IYT Bareboat Skipper to qualified applicants of any nationality. As a fully endorsed IYT Sailing School, Liquid Edge can issue these certificates in Sydney.

What is the difference between IYT and RYA Certificate?
The IYT is North American based, the RYA is UK based, both are internationally recognised. The ICC is a European qualification, IYT offer the ICC via Ireland, RYA offer the ICC via the UK.


The ICC must be issued by a participating European country. As both organisations have global reach, they are able to facilitate this with affiliated schools in other countries via their respective arrangements. Liquid Edge Sailing School is approved to offer the courses and certificates in Sydney with it’s internationally recognised courses under IYT oversight.

What experience do I need for a course?
You need to have crewed, been on yachts or boats before commencing this course. If you have been sailing before, crewed on a yacht or simply been around boats this will aid in picking up the key competencies we teach and form part of the test. If you have little to no experience you should consider the 2 day competent crew course first. Call us if you are unsure, we are here to assist.
Why do I require an ICC?
As you may be aware, it is now mandatory to hold a recognised International Certificate of Competency (ICC) if you wish to charter a boat in certain European countries. It is generally required for the inland and coastal waters of Mediterranean countries. In Northern Europe and Scandinavia the ICC is generally not required, but it is strongly advised to check with any European country that you wish to charter in before you leave.

The ICC is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Resolution 40. The ICC provides documentary assurance from one Government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40.

The following countries have adopted Resolution 40 and officially accept the ICC as proof of boating competence within their territory:

Czech Republic
United Kingdom

The following countries have not adopted resolution 40 but do accept ICC’s for use within their territory:


Many charter companies irrespective of the law will require an ICC as proof of experience.

The following countries have not accepted Resolution 40 but may require some other proof of boating competence before chartering there, (check before you leave):

Russian Federation
United States

Almost all inland waterways require an ICC with CEVNI inland endorsement.
CEVNI – is Code Europeen Des Voies De Navigation Interieure (Revision 2)
You will need to pass an examination to get an INLAND endorsement on the IYT International Certificate of Competence to operate a boat on European waterways. You SHOULD read up on the regulations contained in European Code for Inland Waterways yourself and take the CEVNI examination and/or attend a course.

Who can qualify for an ICC?
Liquid Edge Sailing School is an approved examiner for IYT.


The applicant must:

  • be 16 years of age or older
  • be physically and mentally fit to operate a pleasure craft, and in particular, must have sufficient powers of vision and hearing
  • have successfully passed a written and practical examination.
I am experienced - do I need to do a course?
If you have the required experience you may sit for the exam independently from our courses. We strongly advise you to purchase the RYA booklet called the ICC Handbook by Rob Gibson, the material in this book forms the basis of the exam.

When you book the exam or book a course we will send you comprehensive notes (some 300 pages) via PDF for you to study.

If you require some assistance in certain aspects, contact us for advice.

The book is available at Whitworths and Boat Books Australia.

Do your courses qualify me for a certificate - or is there more I need to do?

Our IYT International Bareboat course and or the individual components cover all the requirements for the ICC. The exam for your certificate is the same as the exam for the ICC. Once you pass the course you will be issued an ICC.

Contact Us