Competent Crew – Learn to Sail
Our Competent Crew program involves two exciting days of sailing lessons on Sydney Harbour learning the basics of sail handling and steering. No prior sailing experience is required. This Introduction to Sailing course is normally held over a weekend – Saturday and Sunday. You will have over 12 hours of on-water training. A half hour break at anchor in one of the many secluded bays is allowed for.
Feel the yacht respond to your adjustments and lean into the wind as it accelerates and responds to the prevailing conditions. You will learn how to safely sail and enjoy the feeling of natures forces powering the yacht.
You will learn on our modern 37 ft Bavaria Cruiser, which we purchased new and had set up for training. Equipment includes
- modern instruments with in water and GPS tracking
- wind instruments calculating true and apparent wind speed and angles
- 6 x 2 speed winches
- double helm (wheel) positions, Jefa steering
- yacht has kitchen, fridge, toilet (head), on board water tanks
- electric windlass
On completion you will have the confidence to step onto another yacht and know what all the parts are for! This is our most popular introduction course and a great stepping stone to commence the more complex courses or to obtain a crewing position on another yacht.
We concentrate on those essential skills required to make you an excellent crew member on any similar yacht. If you are coming from a distance and wish to stay on board you may for a small fee – which is great for those who would like to start coastal cruising. Contact us to discuss.
The Competent Crew Sailing School course covers:
- Personal Safety
- Adjusting the sails
- Wind and boat direction
- Steering the yacht
- Sailing concepts such as reefing, strong weather
- Down wind sailing
- Rules of the Road, who has right of way and when, making good decisions
- Safe anchoring techniques
Our course begins at our walk on walk off Marina berth in Balmain and runs on 2 consecutive days on weekends. Unrestricted parking. This is the ideal course if you have no experience and wish to commence racing as crew or complete further courses with a view to either own a yacht or charter yachts anywhere in the world.
- Students bring their own lunch; sunscreen, a jacket and a hat is recommended.
- You will need some time to study our course notes
- Stay overnight available for those coming a distance – please ask – there is a small extra charge
This course is our entry level course and we have had many go on to become crew members of racing yachts at various clubs in the inner Sydney area.