Introduction to Sailing Catamaran
This introductory course is designed to provide the basics of how to handle a modern sailing catamaran. Some sailing knowledge is an advantage but the course is also suited to those with no experience. The aim is to provide you with the confidence to handle a catamaran in places such as Sydney Harbour, the Whitsunday Islands, Pittwater or to take possession of your new Multihull.
Staying on board overnight is available if you want to.
The 2 day course provides practical on-water tuition covering the basics you need to know to handle a cat of this size in various conditions. The course covers key skills as outlined below.
2 x 6 hour lessons (plus lunch break), in a small group of up to 4 participants. Couples encouraged! Tuition conducted on Seawind 1000. What’s included:
- Safety and safety equipment
- Basic use of Chartplotter and instruments
- Start and stop engines, select gears and manoeuvre under power
- Safe anchoring techniques
- Sail handling, rope work and knots
- Setting the sails, safe use of winches
- How to reef, when to do so (strong weather)
- Steering under sail and sail trim
- Points of sailing, upwind sailing, tacking
- Downwind sailing, gybing
- Basic right of way rules
- Introduction to lateral, cardinal, isolated danger and special marks
What to Bring/Wear:
- Non-marking joggers or boat shoes
- Casual and comfortable clothing for the predicted weather
- Sun hat, sun glasses & sun screen
- Gloves (optional)
- Waterproof Jacket
- Gear for overnight if staying on board
Please note we do not cover Navigation or longer distance cruising. We concentrate on specific skills required for day sailing and motoring.
On completion we will issue you wth a Liquid Edge Sailing School “Certificate of Attainment”
This course is not detailed enough for the ICC in Europe, please visit the Bareboat Certificate page for further information. This course will count towards the experience required to qualify for the more comprehensive ICC training.
Check Dates and Prices
By Phone: 0410 088 028
By email: email@example.com
Quick Enquiry Form
Student Ratios – why so important?
At Liquid Edge, we love teaching and want the best outcome for our students. All classes are conducted with a max of 4:1. This gives students more time learning each task. Our instructors all agree the 4:1 ratio is far superior to 5:1 – it simply makes sense!