IYT Yacht Master Coastal Training
The IYT Worldwide Yacht Master Coastal certificate is a recreational certificate of competency for command of sailing vessels up to 24 metres in length to 60 nm offshore. It is a comprehensive live aboard course consisting of six days for sail which includes the practical on water examination.
The course consists of:
- 3 day theory sessions incorporating the IYT Navigation Master Certificate, details here
- 6 day practical training and exam participating in a 100 plus nautical mile trip along the NSW coast, details here
- International collision regulations
- Navigational charts and publications
- Dead reckoning and estimated position
- Position fixing
- Tides and currents
- Safety at sea
- Boat handling
- Docking and anchoring
- Passage planning
- Advanced sailing techniques, reefing, sail changes, setting up preventers, pole for head sail, etc
- Man overboard under sail, sailing to a mooring
- Command of a vessel up to a maximum length of 78 ft /24 metres
- In coastal waters up to 60 miles offshore
- In moderate wind and sea conditions
Entry requirements to apply for the IYT Yachtmaster Coastal course?
- Completion of course modules for the ICC certificate
- VHF Radio Licence – details here
- 30 days and 800 miles at sea including 2 days as watch leader/skipper
- 12 hours underway on watch at night
- The course may be used as sea time
What form does the Exam take?
The examination is an oral and practical test onboard a yacht. Candidates must demonstrate that they have sufficient ability to handle, dock, and anchor the boat with a required level of confidence. Candidates can expect to be examined on any subject contained within the syllabus and to be questioned on any of their yachting experience to date.
In the event that the examiner considers an examinee not to have achieved the required standards, a certificate will not be issued. In this case, a confidential report will be sent to the candidate outlining the reason or reasons for failure and suggesting remedial action that could lead to the successful completion of the course. Completion of the IYT Worldwide Yachtmaster Coastal course is not a guarantee of passing the examination and receiving your certificate.
By Phone: 0410 088 028
By email: email@example.com
Quick Enquiry Form
Student Ratios – why so important?
At Liquid Edge, we love teaching and want the best outcome for our students. All classes are conducted with a max of 4:1. This gives students more time learning each task. Our instructors all agree the 4:1 ratio is far superior to 5:1 – it simply makes sense!