Learn to Sail to Advanced Techniques
Our private training sessions can be anything from a day to multiple days – your choice.
No prior sailing experience is required, or if you are experienced and wish to add a specific skill then talk to us. Each day consists of 2 x 3 hour sessions with a half hour break at anchor in one of the many secluded bays around Sydney.
Private training makes up about 30% of our business, with much of our business coming via recommendation. We use both Mono Hull or a Catamaran. Our clients range from couples to small groups of friends. Couples especially like our techniques as we teach for short handed sailing – providing the confidence for 2 people to handle a modern cruising yacht.
Your curriculum may include
- Personal Safety
- Adjusting the sails
- Wind and boat direction
- Steering the yacht
- Rules of the Road, who has right of way and when, making good decisions
- Piloting (Navigation in busy harbours)
- Night time sailing
- Offshore sailing
- Safe anchoring techniques
- Reefing sails – why and when
- Safe heavy weather sailing
- Using a pole and preventer for safe downwind sailing
- Using and managing a yachts systems, water, power, waste (black water, grey water)
- Use of an Auto Helm
- Use of instruments
- Understanding advanced concepts such as apparent wind
- Taking account of tides and currents
All course components may count towards the globally recognised IYT Recreational Certificates.
We try to keep our pricing competitive for the quality we deliver.
880.00 per day for up to 4 people on your boat
A extra charge will apply for training on our boats please contact us for a quote
Higher numbers please check with us.
Sessions are 6 hours with a 30 minute lunch break.
Student Ratios – why so important?
At Liquid Edge, we love teaching and want the best outcome for our students. All classes are conducted with a max of 4:1. This gives students more time learning each task. Our instructors all agree the 4:1 ratio is far superior to 5:1 – it simply makes sense!