IYT International Crew Certificate – Day Skipper
Our IYT International Crew program involves 4 exciting days of sailing lessons on Sydney Harbour learning the basics of sail handling and helming. The course is conducted over 2 consecutive weekends. No prior sailing experience is required. Each day consists of 6 hour sessions with a half hour break at anchor in one of the many secluded bays around Sydney.
Feel the yacht lean into the wind as it accelerates and responds to the prevailing conditions. You will learn how to safely adjust the sails and enjoy the feeling of natures forces powering the yacht. You will adjust the sails according to wind angle to get the most efficient combination of speed and power.
You will learn on our modern 37 ft Bavaria Cruiser which we had set up for training (see details here), on completion you will confidently step onto another yacht and know what all the parts are for! If you wish to stay on board for the duration you are welcome to – we stay in a sheltered marina where you can access the local shops, cafes and pubs. A small fee applies.
This is a fun 4 days of sailing – no experience required for this course. You must complete the online theory session (in your own time) prior to commencing.
The curriculum includes
- Personal Safety
- Rope work
- Adjusting the sails
- Wind and boat direction
- Steering the yacht
- Rules of the Road, who has right of way and when, making good decisions
- Safe anchoring techniques
- Reefing sails – why and when
- Safe heavy weather sailing
- Night Sail
- Using a pole and preventer for safe downwind sailing
- Using and managing a yachts systems, water, power, waste (black water, grey water)
- Use of an Auto Helm
- Use of instruments
- Understanding advanced concepts such as apparent wind and wind angle
- Taking account of tides and currents
Included in the course is the globally recognised IYT International Crew Certificate.
A free online class is available for the theory component – click here to register